I apologize again for the once a week update. I would update more often, but it is a hassle to get on the Internet around here. We’re still trying to figure out how to get Internet at the house. The only problem is that some roommates want to invest in other things like alphabet magnets for the fridge, a pool table, and Lego’s. I’m not going to lie, I’m all for the Lego’s.
Not much is new with me. I have been skiing quite a bit now that I’m settled with a job and a place to live. My job couldn’t have worked out any better. I literally can ski 7 days a week, but that will hopefully go down to 5. The hours I work are from anytime after 5:00 PM, so I can go skiing all day every day. I was cleaning at the 5 star hostel, but that has changed and now my regular cleaning duties are at a bank and at a local office. The office is easy to clean, but the bank is a pain in the ass. For example I have to clean certain desks certain ways. Other then that I vacuum, mop, clean toilets, and wipe down all the tables. It takes about 2 ½ hours to do both places. That is why I am hoping that I will get more hours twice a week somewhere else. It will most likely be back at the Hostel. Most of the people I have met that have jobs are only able to make it up to the mountain 2 times a week, because they have more demanding hours. I just got really lucky and managed to land what some would consider a dream job down under. I’m not making that much money, but I’m making enough to get by and enjoy myself, which is all that matters.
I went to Cadrona this past Friday. It is definitely the best mountain in NZ for skiing. The runs are really long, and the mountain is twice the size of the ones closer to Queenstown. The park was amazing and it was the first time that my roommates really got to see me ski. I learned a few new tricks and I’m exited to learn more. Although the mountains here are the same size as ones in the east coast, the parks are built and maintained like parks in the west coast. My landlord went as well, and he is officially the only skier I know here that can keep up and has similar ski interests as me. Its funny, because the Mountains are all really close to each other, but the roads are so gnarly that it takes about an hour to get to them.
The roommates are all great. I stand by my original descriptions in the last update. We’re all down to earth, and although we disagree about some things it usually just ends up being a joke. Savino is definitely my favorite. Watching him interact with girls is a guaranteed lesson in what not to do. Got to love Italians. The other day he asked me if I was from New Wisconsin. I told him I lived in the state next to that one called New Hampshire. I wish I could remember all the things I’ve heard out of his mouth, but I can’t. I do know that he lost 300 at the casino the other night. Ill keep you updated on his attempt to climb out of the hole. He mentioned he might quit his job and just gamble for the rest of his trip.
I think my core body temperature has dropped about 10 degrees since I’ve moved into this house. You can see your breath whenever the wood stove isn’t burning. I don’t think I’ll ever complain about a shower after living here. The shower we use doesn’t have a showerhead, and the water comes out as if it would from a hose. I’m sure a lot of you know I’m not a morning person, but it’s really easy to wake up here. My technique is to just get out from under the blanket (note the missing s). At that point if I’m not moving I’m putting my body at risk of hypothermia. It’s not at all bad though and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I I honestly don’t think I would like this house if it was warm. The experience I’ve already had living in the house will likely leave just as big of an impression on me as the trip as a whole.
I have been hitchhiking quite a bit to get to and from work. It was a little weird a first, but I actually enjoy doing it quite a bit. It’s usually a local who will pick you up, and it’s a great way to meet people. When my roommate Matt doesn’t work I have to hitchhike all the way from Fernhill to Frankton, which is about a 20 minute drive. It usually takes me about 40-50 to hitchhike, so it’s not bad at all.
Matt and I are planning a hike at the moment. Its’ going to be about a 8 hour hike and supposedly the view is amazing. It’s supposed to snow here tomorrow, so Monday will hopefully be a great day on the mountain. I did some hiking at the mountain a few days ago and it was absolutely horrible. Crust on Dust the entire way down so it was nearly impossible to make turns. I’m hoping Monday proves to be better. I plan on hiking every bowl possible.
I recently experienced my first earthquake. It was the biggest quake in NZ in the past 70 years. It ranked around 8 on the Richter scale. It was a rolling earth quake too so it lasted almost 45 seconds. I thought it was sweet, and kind of reminded me of a ride at an amusement park. I didn’t even think to get between a doorframe, but rather just rode it out sitting in a chair with a huge grin on my face. The strangest part of it wasn’t even the quake it self, it was the feeling that overwhelmed your body when the quake stopped.
I don’t’ think I’m forgetting anything. I’ll try to take mental notes throughout the next week for a more detailed recount of my past week or past day depending on when I get on the Internet again. Hope all is well.
Last night I went to an anything but clothes party. It was a great time. I met lots of people and was quite the hit dressed up as a mattress. The main reason I met lots of people was because half way through the night, people (mostly girls, but one guy) started running and jumping into my arms. It was pretty funny and I think my roommate captured some of it on camera. I’ll try to get some of the photos and post them soon. The photos in this post are from The Remarkables ski area as well as the view from my house of The Remarkables mountain range.
Pat
PS if you want to Google Map my house the address is 8 Lochy Road.
No comments:
Post a Comment