Sunday, July 12, 2009

Viva Argentina

Again I want to apologize for the delayed updates, although I think you will find this update entertaining and worth the wait. A lot has happened since my last lengthy update, the two most important things being I have found a place to live along with a job. The only downside to the place that I live is that there is no Internet…yet, were working on it. I know I mentioned the view before and I will post pictures soon, but I haven’t been at the house during a blue bird day. Any pictures on a day other then perfect skies wont do the view justice, so you’ll have to wait.

 I moved in on a Tuesday and the following day a bunch of the roommates were going skiing. I figured it was the best opportunity for me to get to know the roommates and for the roommates to get to know me. It was a gorgeous day, and unfortunately I was stuck skiing with “beginners” again. I still had fun dropping down in the bowls and cutting back up the cornice and slashing snow onto people skiing the cat tracks. Don’t worry I only did it to people I knew. Anyways, on the chairlift rides up I got to know my roommates basic info; where they are from, age, school, etc. I explained my situation to them telling them how I desperately needed a job or else I would be packing up my stuff within the next month or so to head back to the states. Later that night I got a text from one of my roommates regarding a job. Apparently three Argentinean workers quit from the cleaning company he worked for. I don’t know why, but I can only assume it was the cold weather or language barrier.  Regardless, the company had just been contracted to clean this huge 5 star hostel (Oxymoron, but its true) and the company was in a bind. I started within 12 hours of getting that text. I spent the first day hoovering (vacuuming), and washing walls with water. Seriously. Then I had three days off which I spent getting to know the roommates more and meeting people around the neighborhood (ill get into that in a bit). I find out my work schedule tomorrow, but my boss seems really cool and I know she will understand that I want to ski a good amount during the week. I think what I will end up doing is working 4 days a week for 6 hours a day. This will give me three days of skiing each week. There are roughly 3 ½ months left of ski season, which will allow me to ski over 40 days. It would be perfect. I’ll find out tomorrow and keep you posted.

 I’m sure you’re all dying to hear about my roommates. All I can say is that everyone in the house is different ages (I’m the youngest, and surprisingly not the most immature) and for the most part from different countries. So here’s the run down with some details.

 Bromlyn: She is 28 and from Australia. She works as a chef at a local pub and snowboards during her free time. She is a complete individual with her chin and nose pierced, and dating a kid named Martin from Holland. He is hilarious and I get along great with him. We’re currently doing research to find a local soccer league to play in.

 Matt: 26 years old and from Lester, England. He is the roommate who got me my job, and is the one who I get along with the best. He graduated from Cambridge with a biochemistry degree and decided he didn’t want to apply it, so he traveled. He’s a huge kayaker and has hiked and kayaked his way through Nepal, parts of New Zealand, and many other places. Pretty much he’s way to smart for his own good, and a very generous kind person. I’m sure Pete Wilson is reading this right now thinking its only natural for someone from England to be so smart…. just wait.

 Dave and Somala: They are the couple that owns the house and we are renting from. They are in their late twenties or early thirties, I’m not sure which. Haven’t gotten to know them really well yet, but they seem really cool and are down to earth. They are kiwis from the North who wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle so they moved down to the South.

 Jacob and Becca: A married couple from California. Becca is 23 and Jacob is 26. I really didn’t expect it out of a couple so young, but they bicker exactly like married people are supposed to. It’s really funny to witness because I’ve never really seen it at such a young age. Anyways Becca is super young for 23 and is sort of a know it all. I’m not sure if either of them went to college, but my guess is no. She got into an argument with me about basketball compared to netball. According to her netball is much more intense the basketball. She also told me that New Zealand is very strong at Hockey (maybe field hockey). Jacob is the quintessential Californian surfer dude with long wavy blonde hair. Although I’m pretty sure he doesn’t surf. He smokes a lot of pot and when we talk about investing in things for the house, he offers up ideas such as a pool table, and crazy balancing things to make us better skiers and snowboarders. I’m pushing for Internet. I’m not saying I don’t get along with them, because we get along great, they’re just not the type of people I would hang out with if I didn’t live with them.

 Savino (not sure on the spelling): He is 25 or 26 and from Italy. He is hilarious. Although you will probably laugh at some of the stories I tell you about him, you really need to meet him to get the full experience. He is a chronic gambler. He goes to the casino in town about 3-4 times a week and he’s working himself out of a $2000 dollar hole.  He speaks Mediocre English and has the greatest accent. A couple of nights ago he told us a story about a dream he had when he was a kid about poppies. He went on and on about his poppies for a good 3 minutes until someone figured out he was trying to say puppies and corrected him. Another night he was hitting on a girl relentlessly. Telling her that if she slept here she would need to wear a wet suit with a pad lock to keep him away from her. She called him an Italian Stallion and he corrected her by referring to himself as an Italian Pony. He’s about 5’3.

 And then there is me to round out the group. We’re very diverse which makes it fun and it will definitely prove to be a learning experience. I have met others from Scotland, Brazil, Germany, Argentina and the list continues on and on. I’m sure I’ll meet more in the future as well. 

 I have been playing a lot of Frisbee Golf because there is a really nice free course right in a park in downtown QT. I haven’t been partying very much, but last night I went to a house party just down the road from my house. I figured it would be a good way to meet people who were here for the season and it was, but it was also a party that I will never forget for the rest of my life. The reason being that a British (read carefully Pete) girl decided to strip down to nothing but her pants and dance around for a kid who was celebrating his birthday. After her bday performance she ran around the house trying to convince other people to strip down. If you’ve seen the movie Old School then you know the scene. Everyone was just kind staring at her shocked. Needless to say it was an extremely classy and intelligent move that only the likes of a British person would be able to pull off.

  I don’t think I’m leaving anything out. It was the full moon here a few nights ago. One of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. I tried to take a picture of it, but my camera just couldn’t do the sight justice.

 

Pat

 

No comments:

Post a Comment