It snowed a ton over the past week. The mountain ended up being shut for 2 days due to wind and massive amounts of snow. When the mountain finally did open up it was face shots for half of a day. After that it was all tracked out. Most of the “off piste” stuff closed for the blue bird day following the storm to make sure it wasn’t going to slide. The sun ended up baking a nice crust onto the top layer making it decent but not great. Patrol missed a few places with bombs and one of the biggest avalanches to hit the mountain took place. It slid onto a lake and broke through the 50 cm of ice with ease. The guy who set it off was lucky to survive. On the day of the avalanche (2 days after the storm) I skied backcountry in the morning but proceeded to the park for the afternoon. It was short lived when I ripped my binding off of my ski when I crashed attempting to land a jump. I was practicing for a slope style competition the next day, but ended up breaking my ski. I decided to still compete in the competition on rental tele skis made circa 1995. It was an interesting experience and attempting to land switch ended up being a poor decision. I didn’t win the competition, but ended up meeting a few local kids who I’m planning on meeting up and skiing with once I get my skis sorted. The top three finishers where actually Japanese and during the award ceremony there was a translator. It was pretty interesting.
The house is great. I don’t want anyone to think that I’m suffering living in these conditions because I’m not. It’s quite the opposite. Even though the house is cold, spirit is always high. Not just in the house, but Queenstown in general. My living situation is identical to everyone else in town. A few people might have it a little warmer, but they’re probably paying double in rent to what I am.
The job is going well. I have entered a routine and I think I’m doing a good job of cleaning. I haven’t gotten a report back from either the bank or the office. I have met a majority of the employees at both businesses and I get along with them all. I think they like me because I can actually speak English. My boss speaks broken English and even though he is my boss, I’m the one who talks directly with the people in the company. My boss usually asks me to leave notes at the bank because “its easier for you”. Its funny working with people who don’t speak English. Sometimes they will just crack up for not reason at all after I say something. For instance, a lady named Michelle (I don’t think its her real name) told me she would be gone for 5 minutes. I told her that I would still be here and she just started dying laughing. I have no idea why.
I’ve been hitchhiking a little more regularly now because my roommate hasn’t had a day off in almost 2 months. He has a morning shift, so he’s been up before 7 every day for those 2 months and its finally catching up with him. I’ve met some really cool people hitching. Usually it’s a local, but I’ve been picked up by a few Asian tourists just looking for the experience. Conversations consist of the basics; where you from? How long have you been here? Etc. When I tell people I’m from New Hampshire, people think I’m from England. One guy who was born in Brazil, but was raised in Germany picked me up and when I told him I was from NH he wanted to know where. Turns out he had an ex girlfriend from NH and he had lived in Sanbornton for 4 years. Small world.
The roommates are all well. I’ve noticed that the majority of my roommates are socially awkward. Jacob and Becca are extremely opinionated and it’s impossible to have a conversation with them. Jacob is the same woman as Uncle Peter when it comes to getting dressed and going to the mountain. The difference is that Peter is actually a good skier. Jacob is pretty bad, and I think half his problem is that he’s more worried about what he’s wearing on the mountain then actually being able to make turns. Bronwyn and I get along really well. Her boyfriend and I are very similar. We share the same taste is clothes (salvation army) and neither of us is afraid to get down on the dance floor. We’ve had some good dance offs at the bars. Savigno is still down at the casino. I think he lost 300 the other night. I went out to bar with him one night and his pick up line for the night was that he was going to become a priest soon and that whatever girl was stuck talking to could be his last. He went home alone that night.
A couple of my friends left to go back to Australia this past Friday so I hung out with them a bunch before they left. We went out to one bar where there was a wet t-shirt contest. I had never been to one before and I thought it was especially hilarious because I was standing next to the eventual winner’s brother during the whole ordeal.
I’ve broke par on the Frisbee golf course for the first time this past week. It was pretty exiting. The course record is 14 under, I don’t think I’ll beat that, but I’m hoping for a round of 5 under.
Sorry for semi short post. I haven’t gotten paid yet, because I was waiting on my tax number. I should be getting a big paycheck soon though, and am planning on celebrating with a bungi jump or something cool. Other then that this past week was pretty simple. Hope all is well with everyone.
Pat
No comments:
Post a Comment